It's all about MEEEE!!!

My photo
Grahamstown/Durban/Johannesburg - catch me if you can..., South Africa
Lots of words rhyme with my name(hence the highly original signature above); I'm easily obsessed with anything that catches my attention; I have to have 7 ice cubes in my drink; I LOVE animals - especially my dogs, yes I do make kissy faces at them, don't hate; I'm useless at keeping up with current affairs, yet perfectly capable of keeping up with celebrity news; I hate crowds and bananas; I don't like House music; I love buying things, but i don't like throwing things away; I believe people need something to believe in; I think I know everything; If Eward existed, he would not look like Robert Pattinson, That Harry Potter epilogue destroyed everything; I bet HP is actually gay and shacks up with Draco Malfoy and finds out that Snape is his real father... ...and all those other cliched cliches. I like cake; but if you're going to bribe me, do it with chocolate. Or money.

Saturday 29 September 2012

The Depression vacation - Seratonin has never looked so good...

Why am I depressed? I don't know. And I swear to god, if you ask me if it's my "time of the month", I may just have to retire my moral standing on violence. I'll blame it on the depression.

I do know, however, that sometimes it's hard to know how to react when someone you know has  depression. Scenes like that can be illustrated by picturing the expression of the face of a man-beast presented with a crying woman/child. At least, that's always how I imagine it.

It wasn't clear, at first that there was a problem. I can't remember how it started; but I do remember the first time I realised something was wrong. I woke up one day and realised that, through a process of various excuses and good use of procrastination techniques, I had managed to miss an entire week of lectures and tuts. I can't even remember what I did that week. 

Depression is a strange beast. The symptoms are so contrary that it can be excused as something else entirely - if you eat too much, or too little; if you sleep more than usual but wake up feeling tired, or suffer from insomnia; feeling fidgety/can't sit still, or else you move at a slower pace than usual. 

In my case, it's all the first ones, besides the last - fidgety, I am not. Once you know what the problem is, it is easier to deal with. I was ecstatic at the thought that the wet wool blanket constantly dragging me down wasn't just laziness. That the antisocial preference for the sticking my nose in a book, never to emerge; rather than the family friends over for dinner, wasn't the beginnings of agoraphobia. That I didn't have to worry as much about the conflicting feelings of the enjoyment of doing work for subjects such as Mandarin versus the tendency to mope around hating all the deadlines piling up around me like a cracked dam wall.

There was a huge sense of relief that took all the pressure off - it wasn't just me! This is all Seratonin's fault! Huzzah for antidepressants that made me feel like my organs were rattle-shaped and  in the hands of a very enthusiastic baby; but more importantly - that made me feel excited about things towards which I had previously only felt apathy.

There are two things I learnt very quickly, however:
  1. Medication can only do so much
  2. Food can only do so much 
I haven't really paid much attention to no. 2 though - I'm pretty sure I should now be a major stockholder in Nandos, Lays, Coca-Cola and any company that is selling chocolate products.

My social life is still a mess. I'm sorting out my university work, although it feels a lot like chasing dropped R200 note flailing around in the wind evading capture. My res room is STILL a mess, complete with unpacked boxes, an unmade bed, unknown amounts of takeaway-container debris, shoes and clothes. I still feel like a failure 5 days out of 7 - and the other two days are kinda hazy so I'm not too sure about those. I still feel the need to sleep until 10 (13:00 is my record). I still eat enough to feed a large, over-populated country. I still fall into slumps where I feel hopeless and resigned. I still cling to ridiculously stupid things that only serve to clutter up my life and my room. I still berate my traitorous body and mind for being so weak - for not fighting harder. I still don't know how to fix all the damage I've done to my life and those in it.

Every now and then, I wake up and the sky is overcast; everyone I meet coming down the stairs is hungover; Jacob Zuma did something dumb and the dininghall has run out of Bovril. Sometimes these are the days when I'll wake up feeling like I just had a vitamin B injected into my butt. These are the days where I do all my assignments in a couple of hours. The days when I wake up at 8am feeling refreshed. The days I love everything about myself. The days when I can sit on my window sill and stare at the view for hours in awe of the sky. Whatever the cause, these are the days that save me.

Because I sound like I swallowed five self-help books, I'm going to end off with a link to someone who expressed her depression in a far more satisfying way:
Hyperbole and a Half - Adventures in depression

A quick note (30/09/2012):
I'm far from being an expert - medical or otherwise - on depression; but I do know what it feels like, obviously. If you or a friend are going through this too, feel free to comment below, I'm really interested to know how others handle it...

2 comments:

  1. If I may add my two cents.

    Medication is good, provided you find the right drug and dosage. That doesn't happen overnight. It's also complicated by the fact that most antidepressants take more than 3 weeks to show any real effect. (Don't believe a GP who tells you otherwise.) My general experience with meds is, they make you feel better but not happier.

    More important is to have a good support network. Confide in your friends, call on them for help... That's what they are there for! And the help you need from them isn't necessarily anything major, sometimes it is as simple as having someone sit with you so that you aren't all alone with your depressive thoughts. Or even having someone check in on whether you've done your laundry...

    BTW, letting the general "housework" slip can lead to a bit of a negative thought spiral. I'm too depressed to clean. I'm depressed because I haven't cleaned. But I can't clean because I'm too depressed...

    Anyway, great as your friends are, they can only take so much. So, don't overburden them (esp. with things like suicidal ideation). Go see a therapist.

    While there is disagreement over whether psychology combined with psychiatry is as effective as either the one or the other on their own, both have their place in the treatment of depression. You would do yourself a great disfavor if you don't at least consider the psychology route.

    Psychology will be especially useful if your depression stems from addressable issues, such as problems with time management or emancipation issues. Even if the depression is mostly neurological, as in the case of bipolar depression, then therapy can help you learn coping techniques.

    Well, I hope this helps! Goodluck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! So sorry it's taken me so long to reply - I only saw this now! Thanks for the long comment and the advice; I do have a psychologist and a few close friends so I'm better off than most. Luckily I'm not suicidal, and I'm a very insular sort of person, so I do leave most of the angsty stuff for the psychologist.

    I have managed to hit on a good combination of a different anti-depressant as well as Ritalin - I was a bit wary of this, but it's worked incredibly well.

    I definitely agree on the effects of untidiness on depression; when my room is tidy, it doesn;t fix anything, but it also doesn't add to all the things I'm unhappy with!

    So essentially, room's still untidy, but I feel a lot better in general:)

    Thanks again for the comment - just out of curiosity, do you suffer from depression (or something similar) as well?

    ReplyDelete