It's all about MEEEE!!!

My photo
Grahamstown/Durban/Johannesburg - catch me if you can..., South Africa
Lots of words rhyme with my name(hence the highly original signature above); I'm easily obsessed with anything that catches my attention; I have to have 7 ice cubes in my drink; I LOVE animals - especially my dogs, yes I do make kissy faces at them, don't hate; I'm useless at keeping up with current affairs, yet perfectly capable of keeping up with celebrity news; I hate crowds and bananas; I don't like House music; I love buying things, but i don't like throwing things away; I believe people need something to believe in; I think I know everything; If Eward existed, he would not look like Robert Pattinson, That Harry Potter epilogue destroyed everything; I bet HP is actually gay and shacks up with Draco Malfoy and finds out that Snape is his real father... ...and all those other cliched cliches. I like cake; but if you're going to bribe me, do it with chocolate. Or money.

Tuesday 24 April 2012

Non-holiday birthday rating - not awesome

When I was still in school, my birthday was ALWAYS during the holidays. Now that was all well and good, but comforting myself with the fact that, while I was partying with my parents down here on this earthly plane; Shakespeare was celebrating his up with the big man himself, got old.

So I put up with 8 years of this – I’ll leave it up to you to decide whether I finished my entire schooling career in 8 years or else just changed schools – and I was excited for this new period in my life. One where I could know what it was like to wear an A4 piece of paper with a hastily scribbled “It’s my birthday! Give me presents NOW!!” around my neck, and have my class sing to me before cutting into THE most awesome cake of all time.

These illusions were shattered very fast. Last year, I realised that my holiday would once again cover my birthday. I took the consolation prize – my massive Easter egg and bunny collection from that weekend.

This year I was afraid to look at the calendar – could it be? Could the fates have finally deemed me worthy of such a prestigious event as to have my birthday during the term? Yes, yes they could – and would (and should). I was ecstatic! Finally (finally!) I could experience that moment of true amazingness.

So it will disappoint you to know that I woke up, as usual, with bed head and an incurable desire to just skip all lectures and work. It was great to have all my friends around to wish me happy birthday though, and my parents sent me the most enormous bunch of flowers and a hamper filled with goodies.

Disaster struck just as I was getting comfortable in my new role. I went to my Sound Technology lecture after lunch, and even though she has NEVER ASKED THIS BEFORE, our lecturer asked if anyone had a birthday. “That’s me!” I thought! What a chance! What an opportunity! Here is my moment – the moment just like all those others had in class. To have that acknowledgement of your non-achievement – managing to stay alive for 21 years.

Then, god bless him, a friend of mine started to sing! Wonder of all wonders, this can be checked off my list! But then it all went horribly wrong. It was WEIRD. Why were they all singing at me? What do I do with my face? Where do I put my hands? Where do I look? Seriously, I have never heard a rendition of “Happy Birthday” that was so long. So off-key. So creepy.

 And the WORK! Dear god, the work. Have I mentioned how many assignments I have every week for Journalism alone? Well, it’s a lot. Then there’s Chinese. Just to clarify, I love Chinese, the language is interesting and the culture is so different from any other I have studied. The aforementioned Journalism assignments crushed my work ethic for Chinese faster than a fat kid could eat a muffin, so I spent yesterday trying to catch up. 

I did go to gym last night, but then I ate Maggi 2 Minute noodles with mini cheese grillers, so I think I basically just tried to soak up a lake with a sponge... 

Regardless, my birthday was, and still is BOSS, and I invite you all to my partay on Thursday evening.

Oh and to console myself yesterday, I went onto Youtube and found this guy:



No comments:

Post a Comment