It's all about MEEEE!!!

My photo
Grahamstown/Durban/Johannesburg - catch me if you can..., South Africa
Lots of words rhyme with my name(hence the highly original signature above); I'm easily obsessed with anything that catches my attention; I have to have 7 ice cubes in my drink; I LOVE animals - especially my dogs, yes I do make kissy faces at them, don't hate; I'm useless at keeping up with current affairs, yet perfectly capable of keeping up with celebrity news; I hate crowds and bananas; I don't like House music; I love buying things, but i don't like throwing things away; I believe people need something to believe in; I think I know everything; If Eward existed, he would not look like Robert Pattinson, That Harry Potter epilogue destroyed everything; I bet HP is actually gay and shacks up with Draco Malfoy and finds out that Snape is his real father... ...and all those other cliched cliches. I like cake; but if you're going to bribe me, do it with chocolate. Or money.

Sunday 6 March 2011

Today This Girl dies Hurtling Through the Past

On Thursday afternoon we were given a Journalism assignment - a personal narrative of 500-700 words about a defining moment in your life. Now, I culd talking about myself all day, and I do - regularly. This task, however, required more than just talking about who my favourite Jonas brother is (which I'm taking to my grave). Defining moments don't just pop by every day, sometimes you have to think about it a bit, others knew as soon as they heard the topic. One of the girls in my res, Abbey, wanted to write about her brother, but found it to be too painful. If you're curious by what I mean about that last one, well, you'll have to ask her yourself - it's not my story to tell, and I wouldn't do it justice anyway.

So, here's mine, Claire says it's pretty good and although I know I could have written it a little better I'm posting it up here for keepsakes, enjoy! :)

Nothing Special


I don’t want to do this. I really REALLY don’t want to do this. Change the double nappies of a 35 year old, non-verbal, Richard Harris; grab my shower gel from sticky-fingered Chris Salierno; calm another one wearing a hole in the floor on the other side of the cabin  – ‘No Charlie, they weren’t shouting at you’; reassuring John that yes, I will be watching you at the talent show tonight; switch Richard Blasco’s shoes around; help Josh pull his pants up; fetch Charlie as he wanders outside; eye a suspiciously gleeful Chris S; thank Cliff for the hug, struggle to get out of it; promise John that he can listen to his Hannah Montana CDs later; No Richard C, you can’t have ‘cawfee’ right this very second, we’ll get you some at breakfast; dodge Cliff’s hug/headlock; rescue my shower gel yet again as it’s cornered by Chris S and herd them all off to breakfast. That takes care of 15 minutes in the 20 hour day-shift. I really, really REALLY don’t want to do this. That was my mantra, and I was sticking to it.

We worked 20 hours a day, 6 days a week constantly supervising, changing nappies, feeding, toileting, showering and coaxing campers to daily activities. We were running on sugar, Gatorade and pure adrenaline. Every night we’d have 3 hours off from 9-12, and so every night found all the counsellors face-planted on the various couches in the staff cabin or playing pool. The highlight, though, was everyone huddled around the TV and trading war-stories of the day; because even if I had woken up to see Natalie standing on her bed, all the sheets completely stripped and thrown off the edge, brown smeared all over her hands, face, legs and bed waiting to be cleaned up by yours truly – there was always someone with a story worse than mine.

Third session was when I first worked with men that summer and even while I was screaming inside as I tried to maintain a calm, soothing front; for the first time in 4 weeks I was loving every second of it. Richard C repeatedly asked for ‘cawfee’ all day long, Josh listened to Harry Potter audio tapes while walking around the cabin and waving his hands around, John blasted ‘I lay my Love on You’ and ‘Best of Both Worlds’ until we begged him to stop and Cliff was 6 foot tall with no front teeth and loved giving hugs with alarming regularity and strength. Then there was Chris Salierno, the exception to every rule. The easiest way to describe him is to imagine what people would be like if we gave in to every impulse we ever had. If Chris Salierno wants to shave his eyebrows off, that’s what he’ll do. If Chris Salierno wants to be Camp Director, well then we make business cards and he becomes ‘my boss’.

For Chris Salierno, nothing is impossible.

Doing something you were set against from the start has fairly obvious issues, and while many of us dreamt of jumping ship and running home to mommy, being in a whole other country made it rather difficult. That and the fact that quitting is never easy, especially when there is an expectation that you will. So I stayed at the special needs camp in Effort, Pennsylvania for 9 weeks being continually driven to the brink of madness and back again. It was exhausting, but our motley group of about 60 people from various countries all trudged through the carnage that was summer camp.

It was a rather fun experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment